The Paddlesport Leader is aimed at paddlers taking on formal leadership responsibilities in benign, sheltered water environments and aims to support Leaders to run safe, quality, enjoyable trips based on their group’s needs and aspirations. The qualified Paddlesport Leader can lead kayaks, canoes and stand up paddleboards on single craft or mixed craft sessions . All three craft will be available to try during the training course.
At CBK's this qualification is delivered in three parts:
- Paddlesport Leader Training (2 day practical course): This is the course described below. The cost is £199 per person.
- E-learning modules (free resource, completed in your own time): These can be found on the British Canoeing website.
- Paddlesport Leader Assessment (2 day practical assessment): This can be undertaken with us, or another provider. This is delivered by an external assessor. The cost of assessment depends on your assessor, typically around £200.
Between training and assessment it is expected that you will assist other qualified leaders in delivery of sessions. It may be possible for you to shadow sessions at CBK's in your own time, to help reinforce your training and develop your skills. You will need a DBS check before undertaking sessions with under 18s.
Our Training Course
Our course is delivered by an experienced British Canoeing coach. Our aim is to provide a relaxed learning environment in a range of environmental conditions. Typically you will be trained in venues such as:
- Sheltered tidal water (eg. Cullercoats Bay)
- Sheltered moving water (eg. Tyne Estuary)
- Sheltered inland water (eg. Woodhorn Colliery Park)
- Two days coaching from an experienced British Canoeing instructor
- Refreshments during the theory sessions
- Use of one craft per day if needed (please call to request this)
- Use of safety equipment and wetsuit if needed
To register on this course you should be:
- Aged over 16
- Confidently kayaking, canoeing and/or paddleboarding independantly (ie. making independant journeys, understand your environment and trip planning etc)
- Have the ability to swim confidently, wearing paddling kit
- Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th April
- Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th October
Available dates are highlighted green. Select your preferred date to see available times, then click 'Book Now'. All payments are securely processed by SagePay. You'll receive an e-mail confirmation when your booking is complete. If you prefer to book by telephone, you can reach us on 0191 251 9412.